Belfast Telegraph

Six are released by police as death in Bessbrook no longer a murder probe

The house where Aidan McCabe was found dead
The house where Aidan McCabe was found dead
A forensics officer at the property on Wednesday
Aidan McCabe
Mark Bain

By Mark Bain

Police say they are no longer treating the death of a man in Co Armagh as murder following the results of a post-mortem.

The body of Aidan McCabe, who was from Camlough and in his mid-30s, was found at Acorn Hill in Bessbrook shortly after 10.15am on Wednesday.

The discovery sparked a murder investigation.

Initial reports from the scene had suggested that Mr McCabe had been stabbed.

Five people - two men and three women - had originally been arrested on suspicion of murder.

But they, along with a sixth man who was arrested later, have now been released unconditionally.

Detective Chief Inspector Eamonn Corrigan, who is leading the police investigation, said: "Six people, including three women, one aged 39 and two aged 22, and three men aged 41, 43 and 52, arrested yesterday by detectives investigating the death have been released unconditionally.

"The 39-year-old woman was then re-arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

"She has been released on bail pending further enquiries."

Mr McCabe's brother has spoken of his heartache, the tragedy coming just days after the sudden death of his best friend.

Kevin McCabe described the last few days as "the worst thing I've ever had to experience" after losing his older sibling and his best friend Conor Kearns just days apart.

Father-of-one Mr Kearns tragically passed away on Monday.

Posting on Facebook, Kevin said: "Okay, so the last few days have been the worst thing I've ever had to experience.

"Firstly I lost my best friend Conor Kearns, and three days later I lose my big brother Aidan McCabe.

"Absolutely shocked.

"You really don't know what's around the corner and have your last conversation with someone.

"Aidan was always so generous, two days ago we met up for a few drinks and he was trying to calm me down about Conor; not once did I ever have an argument with him.

"He will be missed by all his friends and family. I love you brother."

A funeral notice for Mr Kearns, from Camlough, said: "Conor died suddenly at his home on March 10. May he rest in peace. Treasured father of Lorcan and much loved son of Kevin and Sandra and loving brother of Kevin.

"Deeply regretted by his son, mother, father, brother and Aileen and their son Keegan, grandparents, aunts, uncles and entire family circle and friends."

Mr Kearns' funeral will leave his house today at 10am for 11am Requiem Mass in the Church of St Malachy, Carrickcruppen, Camlough.

The deaths of Mr McCabe and Mr Kearns have plunged the local area into mourning again, coming not long after a murder-suicide involving 37-year-old Colombian woman Giselle Marimon-Herrera and her 15-year-old daughter Allison in their Glin Ree Court flat in Newry.

Police confirmed that mother and daughter had been strangled.

Their bodies were discovered last Thursday, along with that of Russell Steele.

The 38-year-old, originally from Kilmarnock, Scotland, had hanged himself.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph