Belfast Telegraph

Smoker died after starting fire

A father died after becoming heavily intoxicated and accidentally dropping smoking materials onto his armchair, an inquest has concluded.

Coroner Suzanne Anderson made the ruling at the inquest into the death of Eamon Stanley from Brookdale Crescent in Londonderry.

Mr Stanley (48), died on August 17, 2010, just over a month after sustaining severe burns in a fire which started in the living room of his ground floor flat.

In his written evidence Dr Brendan Fogarty, consultant plastic surgeon, said that after Mr Stanley was transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, he underwent a series of skin grafts and other surgical procedures.

He developed septicemia blood poisoning however and despite treatments which included haemodialysis, his organs began to shut down.

The Coroner concluded that the fire was accidental and recorded a verdict of "death by burns and organ failure".

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph