Social workers were told of sex abuse allegations at the former Kincora Boys' Home as early as 1967, a public inquiry has heard.
The Historical Institutional (HIA) Abuse Inquiry was shown a handwritten letter sent to the Belfast Welfare Authority in which it was claimed boys were being regularly assaulted by the house warden Joseph Mains.
The letter, dated September 1967 also described how one boy, known only as R5, was sent to bed early, made to scrub floors and work in the garden for rejecting Mains' advances.
R5 wrote: "I first realised something was wrong as far as Mr Mains was concerned.
"Very often when boys were washing he would come into the washroom and put his arms around our chests and hold us tightly to him.
"Also, sometimes as boys walked past him in the home he would touch them up."
The long running inquiry, at Banbridge Courthouse, is examining allegations of state sponsored child prostitution, blackmail and cover up.
There have been persistent allegations that a high-ranking paedophile ring preyed on vulnerable teenage boys at Kincora during the 1970s.
It is further alleged that the UK security services knew about the abuse but did nothing to stop it, instead using the information to blackmail and extract intelligence from the influential men, including senior politicians, who were the perpetrators.
In a statement given to police in the 1980s, R5 recalled how Mains had become jittery, frightened and offered him cigarettes and possibly money when he heard that the complaint had been lodged with the authorities.
It also emerged that another boy reported allegations of child sex abuse in two detailed letters in 1971.
The five-page documents, also shown to the inquiry, were delivered to the Belfast Welfare Authority and to the office of a social worker with a reference that they should be handed into a central police station.
However, Joseph Aiken, counsel to the HIA said the reference to give the letter to police was "missed" and detectives did not receive the information until 1976.
In 1981, Mains and two other senior care workers, deputy warden Raymond Semple and house-master William McGrath were convicted for abusing boys at Kincora during the 1970s.
A year later, a detective from Sussex Police, who had been looking into the allegations of a paedophile ring said many of the residents had been "sexually naive youngsters".
"It is difficult for an investigator to believe that persons in authority did not know or suspect what was taking place," the detective noted.
Statements from a number of boys who were placed in Kincora during the 1960s were put to the inquiry throughout the day.
Although they included graphic details of extent of the abuse by staff members, none claimed to have been aware of of a vice-ring.
One boy, referred to as R7, who was abused at the age of 16, said: "I was not aware of any prostitution or vice ring or important people being involved.
"The only homosexual behaviour I know of at the hostel concerned Joseph Mains and Raymond Semple," he said.
Another, given the cipher B3/R1 said: "I have no knowledge of politicians, police or such people involved in any such activity.
"When I read of the goings on, I was very surprised. I knew nothing of prostitution and homosexual relations with fellas outside the hostel. If it was happening there I would have known of it."
Some boys described being abused while bathing or changing while others said it happened on an almost daily basis.
There was also abuse among peers, the inquiry heard.
Another ex-resident, known only as R4, said he had grown used to being assaulted by Mains but did not like it and feared speaking out.
On Wednesday, the inquiry was told that MI5, MI6 and the Ministry of Defence could find no evidence that officials were involved in, condoned or exploited the sex abuse at Kincora.
Outside the court, solicitor Claire McKeegan, who is acting for a number of victims, said the claims would be treated with caution.
"We look forward to hearing full and detailed evidence of exactly what agencies of the state knew and when they knew it," she said.
The inquiry continues on Friday.
As the alleged VIP paedophile ring story at Westminster crumbles, there is still one scandal involving powerful people, blackmail and the abuse of children that continues to churn out disturbing, but credible, material from the past: Kincora.
Amid the non-stop conveyor belt of justice at the old Crumlin Road courthouse in Belfast at the time, a depraved group of senior civil servants, paramilitaries and politicians must have been hoping against hope as they watched the television news that the guilty pleas from the three men in the dock would be the end of their worries.
A victim of child sex abuse at the Kincora boys home has revealed how he was also molested by "very powerful people" at a luxury apartment block and notorious guest house linked to a VIP paedophile ring.
Kincora child sex abuse victim Richard Kerr has claimed he was molested by "very powerful people" at several key locations connected to an alleged VIP paedophile ring.
A Belfast doctor, who was a convicted paedophile, was allowed to continue working with children due to a number of failings by the authorities, according to a new report.
The inquiry into historical sex abuse at the former Kincora boys' home in east Belfast has been dealt a second blow in as many days after another key witness yesterday vowed he would not testify at the probe.
A lawyer representing Jersey abuse victims has said it was widely believed that Edward Heath was “implicated” in child sex abuse on the island – but that making a solid case against him was “like pinning down a jellyfish”.
A former Army intelligence officer who claims attempts to expose a paedophile ring at a notorious Belfast care home were blocked, has nothing to fear from testifying at an inquiry, the High Court has heard.
In emotional scenes, Richard Kerr - a former Kincora resident who was sexually abused at the boys' home - has received an apology from the military intelligence officer who tried to expose the abuse.
Enoch Powell - the former South Down MP and late Conservative anti-immigrant firebrand who died in 1998 - is being investigated as a member of an alleged Westminster paedophile network after his name was supplied to police by a senior Anglican bishop.
You know, if my parents were told all this was going on, they would never have believed it, Colin Wallace told me. What the 71-year-old former Ballymena Academy pupil is referring to is a half-world, lurking just below the surface of official Ulster life, with its rules and its proprieties.
Thirty years ago last month, speculation about a paedophile ring inside the British political establishment went global – not for the first time. The Toronto Globe and Mail was one of the newspapers to report on it.
A senior whip in the government of the former Tory Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath boasted that he helped Westminster politicians at the time avoid being exposed for “scandals involving small boys”.
Britain's largest ever public inquiry will travel from the "corridors of power" in Westminster to the poorest parts of the country to uncover the true scale of child sex abuse, its chairwoman has vowed.
Stormont must start planning a "redress scheme" for victims of child sex abuse - including those preyed on by paedophile priests such as Fr Brendan Smyth and others assaulted in Kincora Boys' Home, an international expert has warned.
Hacktivist group Anonymous, which has made public attacks on extremists, corporations and religious and governmental bodies, is calling for help in its fight against international paedophile networks, or what it calls the “paedosadist industry”.
A man who was raped by Kincora housemaster William McGrath has said that a Westminster inquiry into child abuse that includes the notorious boys' home will have some people in Northern Ireland "shaking in their boots".
The Official Secrets Act should be suspended to allow former intelligence officers to give evidence about alleged cover-ups during the child abuse inquiry, campaigners have said.