Belfast Telegraph

Solution for Enniskillen bomb memorial reached

A memorial to the victims of the Enniskillen bomb is set to be erected, after an earlier monument was controversially removed.

An agreement has now been reached to place a new memorial on the gable wall of the Clinton Centre was reached at a meeting on Tuesday between all parties concerned.

The Clinton Centre, opened in Enniskillen in 2002, is a hub of voluntary and business activity and is currently going through a renovation. 

Dean of Enniskillen Cathedral, the Very Rev Kenneth Hall: “Good progress has been made and a solution has been reached by all parties involved to site the memorial within the gable wall of the Clinton Centre subject to necessary approvals.

“However, we envisage that this work will take time but all parties are committed to work together to complete this matter within a reasonable time scale.”

The Enniskillen bombing happened on Remembrance Sunday 1987, with the IRA blast killing 12 and wounding 63.

To mark the 30th anniversary of the attack in November 2017 a memorial was placed near to the site of where the attack happened.

The monument was removed from its position within hours of being placed by the site's owners the St Michael's Diocesan Trust.

Speaking following the removal, survivor Stephen Gault - who lost his father in the attack - claimed the action had taken place due to the presence of a single poppy on the memorial.

The Trust said at the time it had been informed by the Ely Centre, a charity focused on helping the victims of the Troubles in Fermanagh and Tyrone, of its intention to place the memorial on the site, but not by the council that planning permission had been granted.

In May, the Trust offered up a list of reasons for why it had removed the memorial, saying it was "mindful of the horror and outrage experienced across the community" caused by the attack, and its objection was based on considerations around public access, maintenance of the monument, and ongoing public works in the centre of Enniskillen.

DUP leader Arlene Foster said that a great deal of work had gone into finding a solution.

"Whilst it would obviously have been preferable that the memorial could have been in place for the 30th anniversary commemorations, today marks a positive step forward and will be welcomed by everyone,” Mrs Foster said.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph