Sorrow after Carson Quinn dies in fire his Holywood home
A man in his 50s has died following a fire at a house in Holywood.
The man, named locally as Carson Quinn, was aged in his 50s and believed to have been a wheelchair user.
One neighbour told the Sunday Life she believed he had spina bifida.
It fire happened in the East Link area on Saturday morning.
The incident was reported to police just after 9.20am.
Two neighbours raised the alarm after noticing that Mr Quinn's windows had gone black at around 9.10am.
Caroline Watts, a neighbour of the victim, said: “My neighbour across the road noticed the windows blackening and the neighbour at the back noticed the windows blackening.
“Then they realised it was smoke, so they contacted the fire brigade who came out to the house and unfortunately had to put the door in and discovered Carson had died inside from, we presume, smoke inhalation and his little dog died with him.
“We’re very, very devastated.”
It is not yet known what started the fire, but on Saturday a forensic team was carrying out investigations.
Green Party councillor John Barry attended the scene yesterday morning.
He said: “The general feeling in the area is overwhelming shock and sadness. A death at any time of the year is tragic, but a week before Christmas is just heartbreaking.”
The Clandeboye and Holywood representative added: “My thoughts are with the whole community too because it is a tight, working class area and this has sent shockwaves around it.
“While my first thoughts are with those close to Mr Quinn, I’m looking forward to finding out the cause of the incident which will hopefully help his family understand what happened in this absolute tragedy.”
North Down DUP MLA Gordon Dunne expressed his shock at the death.
He said "I am very shocked and saddened that a man has sadly lost his life in a fire at his home in Holywood. This is a real tragedy and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family at this terrible time.
"This tragedy has left a real sense of grief and sadness within the local community particularly as we approach the Christmas period. This is a close knit community and a tragedy such as this is felt right across the community."
Belfast Telegraph Digital