Belfast Telegraph

Stanley Wightman dies after Belvoir estate 'sword' attack

A second man has died following an attack in Belvoir estate in south Belfast.

Stanley Wightman (52) sustained critical injuries in the incident in Belfast's Belvoir estate which claimed the life of veteran UDA chief Colin "Bap" Lindsay (47).

Mr Wightman's death on Friday afternoon followed a court appearance by 46-year-old Albert Armstrong, who was remanded in custody by a district judge after being charged with the murder of Mr Lindsay and the attempted murder of Mr Wightman.

It is understood police are now making arrangements to amend the charge in relation to Mr Wightman.

Mr Lindsay and Mr Wightman were hacked with a samurai sword in an attack in the living room of Mr Lindsay's house on Kirkistown Walk on Wednesday night.

Announcing Mr Wightman's death yesterday evening, the officer leading the investigation reiterated an appeal for public information about what happened.

Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said: "We want to hear from anyone who saw or spoke to Colin Lindsay, Stanley Wightman or Albert Armstrong at any time on Wednesday or who knows anything about their movements."

Relatives of Mr Lindsay wept as Armstrong appeared in court yesterday.

The accused, who lives at Mahee Close, which is also on the Belvoir estate, stood in the dock wearing a grey fleece tracksuit top and bottoms. He spoke only to confirm his name, then nodded to acknowledge he understood the charges against him.

Ahead of the hearing, District Judge Des Perry said he was aware the case was "emotive" but warned that any disturbance would force him to clear the court.

In the event, the brief hearing passed without incident amid a high police presence. Armstrong's solicitor did not make a bail application and Judge Perry remanded the accused to reappear in court, via video-link, on August 7.

Relatives and friends of Mr Lindsay supported each other as they left Newtownards Magistrates Court after the hearing.

Police have said the sword used in the attack belonged to Mr Lindsay.

The father-of-two was declared dead at the scene, while Mr Wightman was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for severe head and neck injuries.

Mr Lindsay's head was almost severed from his body in the attack. His hand was also hacked as he tried to defend himself. Mr Wightman had suffered severe injuries to his arm and his throat.

Mr Lindsay was the former leader of the UDA in the estate and a close friend of the organisation's chief, Jackie McDonald.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph