Belfast Telegraph

Stone attack Germans 'enjoyed trip'

German teenagers injured when a gang of yobs stoned their bus in east Belfast will have good memories of the city despite the attack, the group leader has said.

Three of the party were hurt after the visiting exchange group, which had just left the Dundonald Ice Bowl, came under attack on the nearby King's Road in Tullycarnet on Monday. The schoolchildren suffered superficial cuts from flying glass after two windows were smashed.

Leader Christina Von Bibow said: "I was with the group who were caught up in the attack earlier this week and everyone is absolutely determined not to allow that incident to detract from the wonderful time we had here in Belfast.

"We leave Northern Ireland with very good feelings of how friendly and welcoming the people are. We will have good memories of Belfast."

The 21 young people met Belfast lord mayor Pat Convery on Friday and said they were grateful for the hospitality. The lord mayor passed on the best wishes of everyone in Belfast.

He said: "We hope that you will return to our city at some stage in the future, and hope that the very good friendships you made during your stay here will last for years to come."

The Belfast visit was organised by a Belfast cross-community programme involving the East Belfast Area youth project and St Agnes youth club in Andersonstown.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph