Stormont logjam would still exist if Martin McGuinness' were alive, says son
Martin McGuinness's son has rejected claims that there would have been more progress at Stormont had his father been still alive.
Fiachra McGuinness voiced disappointment at developments since his father's resignation last January, which led to the collapse of Stormont.
He said: "I have heard it said many times that things would be different if my father was still here, but I don't see how people can come to that position if they read his letter of resignation.
"He was absolutely adamant that any government had to treat all the people equally.
"He would have been frustrated by the DUP's behaviour over recent weeks and their decision to renege on the agreement to restore the institutions.
"My father may be gone, but the bar he set is still there.
"There have to be rights, there has to be equality and reconciliation if we are to move forwards as a society, and I look around at the calibre of leadership and activist in Sinn Fein and I know we will get there."
In an interview with the Derry Journal, the former Deputy First Minister's son said that the past year had been "very tough" as the family prepare to mark the first anniversary of his death on March 21.
He said they had been strengthened by the "unbelievable support" that they had received from around the world.
Mr McGuinness was speaking ahead of a series of events taking place to mark the anniversary of his father's passing.
Mr McGuinness added: "The death of my father was devastating to us as a family and the last year has been very tough on us all.
"I know Martin McGuinness meant a lot of different things to different people, but to us, first and foremost, he was a loving daddy, a granda, a brother and a husband.
"He was a massive figure in Irish politics.
"And he helped to transform this society so that our children are growing up in a better place than he did.
"That, to me, is the greatest achievement of all - to give that gift to future generations."