Belfast Telegraph

Strabane man 'beat brother and women with hurling stick'

By George Jackson

A 27-year-old man who is alleged to have used a hurling stick, a glass and his fist to inflict multiple injuries on two women and his brother in the early hours of Sunday has been remanded in custody.

The incidents, some of which were recorded on CCTV, took place outside Strand Road PSNI Station in Londonderry and in a nearby basement flat in Queen Street.

The defendant, George Martin Mullan from Victoria Road in Strabane, appeared before the Derry Magistrates Court yesterday.

A police officer said a victim was seen on CCTV footage being carried away from the scene and several minutes later the police received a call from a distressed woman saying that the defendant was attacking several people in her Queen Street flat after he had forced his way in.

When police arrived the defendant was outside holding a hurling stick. He raised it at a police officer but then ran off.

However, he returned several minutes later without the hurling stick and confronted the same officer before he was sprayed with CS spray, restrained and arrested. Inside the flat the police witness said officers found two women covered in blood.

The defendant is alleged to have attacked one of them with a hurling stick striking her on the head, legs and arms and it's believed she sustained one broken wrist and a sprain to her other wrist.

The three casualties, as well as the defendant, were taken to Altnagelvin Hospital where the defendant is again alleged to have become confrontational.

Objecting to bail, the police officer said the defendant had a criminal record of 55 previous convictions, 18 of which were for assaults.

The officer described the attacks on the three victims as savage.

He said the defendant knew all three victims and he presented a risk of interfering with them.

District Judge Barney McElholm said the level of violence used in the incidents was horrendous.

"I cannot think of a worse candidate for bail than this man. There is an inevitable outcome in relation to the violence recorded on CCTV," he said.

The defendant was remanded in custody until January 8.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph