Belfast Telegraph

Teen accused of Lesley-Ann McCarragher hit-and-run back has bail revoked

By Staff Reporter

The driver accused of causing the death of Lesley-Ann McCarragher in an alleged hit-and-run has been remanded in custody after his bail was revoked.

The teenager, who because of his age cannot be identified, is also accused of having no licence or insurance, failing to stop and remain at the scene of the incident and failing to report the collision to police.

Lesley-Ann was jogging along the Monaghan Road near her home in Milford in Armagh on April 9 when she was struck.

Initially being described as critical, the 19-year-old's condition deteriorated and she was airlifted to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, only to die the following day.

Witnesses described a white Saab racing another car along the road before undertaking on the hard shoulder, where it ploughed into Lesley-Ann. The Saab then turned and drove away from the scene.

The youth was arrested and first appeared at Newry Magistrates Court on April 11, when a detective sergeant said the youth had shown no remorse over the death and had claimed he had sold the Saab to "foreigners" 45 minutes before the incident.

After the last registered owner of the Saab was traced by police, she explained she had received numerous texts from the youth telling her to say she had sold the car to foreigners if officers spoke to her.

The car was later located in a garage rented out by the youth's elder brother. That property has been sealed off as parts from dismantled vehicles also found there are suspected of being stolen.

Bail was opposed at the first hearing, with the detective stating concerns that the youth or his family could interfere or intimidate the main witness.

The detective had indicated the accused had refused to hand over his mobile phone, which could contain texts potentially related to the investigation.

The judge had told the defendant he would be released from custody on strict bail conditions when police received the phone. The bail terms also specified that the youth was not to attempt to see, speak to or in any other way contact the injured party's family or any crown witnesses. He was also barred from travelling in the front of any motor vehicle and he was not go to within 500 metres of a specified address in Armagh. The case was adjourned to a sitting of Armagh Youth Court on April 22, but it has since emerged the youth's bail was revoked on that date. It appears the defendant applied for custodial remand.

The case has been adjourned until next month.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph