Belfast Telegraph

Teen charged after police attacked in Derry disorder

Two police officers have been injured after being hit with bricks and a woman was struck on the head with a stone during another night of violence in Londonderry.

Police said 26 petrol bombs, bottles and masonry were thrown during sporadic disturbances in Derry's Bogside area, with a car set on fire.

Three people were arrested, with police warning that more would follow. A 16-year-old has been charged with disorderly behaviour.

A woman was injured after she was struck on the head with a stone and two police officers were injured after they were struck with bricks.

A car was set on fire in Fahan Street and the Leckey Road was closed for a period after pallets were placed across the road and set on fire.

Chief Inspector Alan Hutton said: “We are disappointed that some people decided to continue the public disorder in the Bogside last night, despite the clear message from the community earlier.

“This morning, following the disorder in the Bogside area of the City last night, we have two officers and a member of the public injured.  I am very proud of how my colleagues stood in the face of danger, working to bring this situation under control but I am saddened and angry that again we find ourselves subject to serious violence from the communities we serve. Let me be clear, we have made three arrests last night and with a robust criminal justice strategy in place, there will be more.

“The local community needs to see a resolution to this issue now. Collectively, we cannot afford to wait and we cannot have night after night of violence on our streets.

"Following three nights of disorder, we have a number of police officers who are no longer available to deliver their core policing duties, protecting the communities they serve.

“And the huge impact on our City cannot be ignored. As we strive to promote our positive image, the negative effect of these violent pictures on jobs, tourism and investment cannot be underestimated.

"We do not want to take a backward step. I urge all those with influence to urgently use it to bring a resolution to the violence and work towards a longer term solution for the issues affecting this area."

The area has witnessed trouble on three consecutive nights.

Over the weekend, youths from the nationalist Bogside launched attacks on the nearby unionist Fountain estate.

A number of older people living in the sheltered accommodation found themselves in the firing line amid a hail of petrol bombs and other missiles.

Earlier on Monday, around 100 residents from the Bogside held a rally to show support for Fountain residents.

They walked to the estate to demonstrate that the disorder was not in their name.

The PSNI condemned the latest night of trouble, which was centred within the Bogside.

"It's criminal and anti-social - it's time it stopped," said a PSNI spokesman.

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph