Belfast Telegraph

Teen denies murder of refugee who fled Syria

By Ashleigh McDonald

A 19-year-old man is to stand trial accused of robbing and murdering a Syrian refugee in the centre of Belfast, a court heard yesterday.

Callin Wilson, of no fixed abode, appeared at Belfast Crown Court, where he denied murdering Hazem Ahmed Ghreir last summer. Mr Ghreir, who was in his 30s, died after he was stabbed at Downshire Place in the centre of Belfast on June 4 last year.

At the time police said the incident was not being treated as a hate crime.

When the charge was put to him, he replied "not guilty". He was also charged with, and denied, stealing Mr Ghreir's mobile phone, as well as possessing a knife in a public place.

After Wilson entered "not guilty" pleas to all three charges, his barrister Joel Lindsay told the court he was in the process of obtaining a report "from an expert in relation to Asperger's".

Crown prosecutor Ciaran Murphy QC then informed Mr Justice Colton he was expecting the trial to be "relatively short" and said it would take around two weeks.

Mr Justice Colton set the trial date for May 8. He then ordered Wilson be returned to custody.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph