Belfast Telegraph

Teen stabbed in head ‘after love rival set up fight’

A teenager was stabbed twice in the head after a love rival set up a confrontation by text message, it was claimed in the High Court.

Prosecutors alleged that a 17-year-old youth inflicted the wounds with a steak knife in a row over a girl in Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh.

The attack was said to have been carried out after two groups clashed in a public park in broad daylight on November 12.

The suspect, who cannot be named because of his age, denies charges of wounding with intent and possession of an offensive weapon.

He was refused bail by a judge who ruled that the risks of releasing him were too great.

Crown counsel Nicola Auret said the victim, also 17, was found near a pub in the town bleeding heavily from head wounds.

The extent of his injuries was not disclosed.

The accused was located in a nearby flat and arrested.

Ms Auret said the dispute appeared to be over the suspect's girlfriend, who the victim had previously been in a relationship with.

She alleged that the accused sent a text to the other youth warning he would be stabbed, telling him to watch himself, and arranging a meeting.

The court was told two groups met at Forthill Park.

According to the prosecution, the accused and his associates were chased out before the victim confronted and struck him.

“The applicant proceeded to stab down twice on the injured party's head,” Ms Auret claimed.

Michael Boyd, defending, disputed claims that his client sent the text message.

“His case is he heard a rumour that this man wanted to fight him and wanted to meet him at 12 noon in the park,” the barrister said.

“The applicant foolishly decided to go along to see if this was true.”

Mr Boyd also stressed that the accused denied either having the knife or any knowledge of how the wounds were inflicted.

He added: “He says he went along and when he realised he was outnumbered, turned his back and was pursued.”

Denying bail, Lord Chief Justice Sir Declan Morgan stated the injuries were sustained following a confrontation between groups of youths in the middle of the day.

“It is a matter of serious concern that this incident was one that occurred in a public place,” the judge said.

“Any members of the public who were in the vicinity would have been very frightened by it.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph