Belfast Telegraph

Teenager (16) in court over Gerard Quinn Londonderry murder

By George Jackson

A 16-year-old teenager has appeared in court charged with the murder of Londonderry man Gerard Quinn.

A detective constable told the Youth Court that preliminary findings of a post mortem examination showed that Gerard Quinn, a 24-year-old father of one, died from a single stab wound to the throat caused by a broken glass.

The victim was stabbed in the front garden of a house at Milldale Crescent in the Curryneirin area of Derry.

More: I will never get over it, insists man who tried in vain to save murder victim

The 16-year-old student is also charged with attempted grievous bodily with intent against Mr Quinn's twin brother Michael on Saturday night.

He made no reply to the two charges at a hearing on Tuesday.

Members of the defendant's family were in court when defence barrister Paul Foster read extracts from a statement prepared by the defendant's family in the wake of the murder.

Mr Foster said the defendant's family wished to express their condolences to the Quinn family following the loss of their son.

"It is a tragedy for the Quinn family and for themselves. They have asked the police officers to confirm that the defendant complied fully with them during his interviews and they thank the community for their support on behalf of their son and have asked that at this difficult time for both families there should be no repercussions," Mr Foster said.

The District Judge said it was "indeed a complete tragedy and the court would wish to add its condolences to the Quinn family on the death of Gerard. It is a tragedy for all involved."

The detective constable confirmed to the court that prior to the incident which gave rise to the two charges, there was a melee involving the deceased, his brother and another 16-year-old individual.

Asked by Mr Foster if the defendant had raised the issue of self defence of himself and of others in relation to the deceased, the detective constable confirmed that was the case.

She said she believed based on the evidence that she could connect the defendant to both charges.

The police witness said the PSNI received a report at 10.26pm on Saturday of a stabbing at Tullymore Road. It was reported that a man had been stabbed in the throat.

"When the police arrived they observed a man laying on the ground. He was not breathing and he had lost a lot of blood," she said.

"Members of the public were observed administering first aid. The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service arrived and took charge. The man was treated at the scene before being conveyed to Altnagelvin Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery for his injury," she said.

The officer said police at the scene were notified of the name of a suspect.

At 12.13am  on Sunday the defendant attended Strand Road Police Station on a voluntary basis. He was later interviewed in the company of his solicitor and in the company of an appropriate adult.

The detective constable said  Gerard Quinn's life was pronounced extinct at 4.20am on Sunday morning and the defendant was subsequently charged with murdering Mr Quinn.

She said during his interviews the defendant admitted striking two men outside the Milldale Crescent house.

There was no application for bail and the defendant was remanded in custody for a video link hearing on June 7.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph