Belfast Telegraph

Teens jailed over vicious Bangor pier assault watched millions of times online

Cora Campbell and William Boyd
Cora Campbell and William Boyd
Footage of the assault

By Paul Higgins

Two teenagers who admitted involvement in a "vicious assault" on Bangor pier, the video of which went viral, were each handed 32-month sentences yesterday.

Cora Campbell and William Boyd, both 19, will spend half their sentences in custody and half on licence, Newtownards Crown Court judge Geoffrey Millar QC ordered.

Their 17-year-old co-accused, who cannot be identified due to her age, must complete 120 hours of community service.

The judge told the trio that when they attacked their teenage victim, they had "behaved like a pack of wild animals after their prey".

Initially charged with trying to inflict grievous bodily harm with intent, they all pleaded guilty to causing their victim actual bodily harm during the attack on Bangor pier on April 20 last year.

Opening the Crown case yesterday, prosecuting counsel Laura Ievers outlined how the defendants had been drinking with a group of around 15 people when their victim arrived at the scene.

The complainant said "everything was fine" and they were having a good time, but she was approached by Campbell, who "punched her and grabbed her by the hair".

She was shouting "Do you still want my boyfriend now?" and "Why did you kiss him?" said Mrs Ievers, who added that during the video recording of the attack, Boyd was heard shouting "break her nose" more than once and was filmed pouring beer and vodka "into the victim's eyes and throat".

Describing how the victim was punched 30 times in the video, the lawyer said the girl "thought she was going to be drowned in the sea".

Campbell, with an address at English Street in Downpatrick, was arrested and interviewed after the video of the attack was posted online and viewed millions of times.

She admitted the assault but told police she didn't think "it was that bad" until she was shown the footage of the incident.

Boyd, from Sunnyside Drive in west Belfast, and the 17-year-old girl also admitted their involvement.

As well as the custodial sentences, Judge Millar imposed a three-year restraining order. The 17-year-old must also "write a letter of reflection" to her victim.

Speaking after the hearing, a PSNI spokesperson said: "This was clearly a traumatic ordeal for the victim.

"I hope this (the sentences) gives them some measure of comfort that the perpetrator has been found guilty."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph