The ‘Belfast Buoys’ are back in town and in new location
Landmarks relocated to new home in city's quays
Three maritime buoys removed from Belfast city centre to make way for a new Second World War memorial have resurfaced on the banks of the Lagan.
The giant floats sat in the centre of Cathedral Gardens, known locally as Buoy Park, beside St Anne's Cathedral and Ulster University for 36 years before they were removed back in January.
But now they have been installed at Abercorn Basin in the Titanic Quarter, where they will remain on permanent display.
"The recent redevelopment of the Ulster University campus, along with the momentum of Department for Communities' Streets Ahead Project to regenerate this area, prompted plans to relocate the buoys," a Belfast City Council confirmed earlier this year.
The original site was cleared to make way for the installation of a new memorial to those who lost their lives in the Belfast Blitz in April and May 1941.
Belfast was one of 16 UK cities bombed by the Luftwaffe in the Second World War.
While the shipyards and factories were the intended targets of the raids, more than half of Belfast's houses were destroyed or badly damaged in the attacks.
The names of more than 1,000 people who were killed will be listed on the memorial.
The distinctive buoys - which celebrate the city's maritime heritage - were repainted before taking up residence on the quays just as the magnificent masts of the Tall Ships arrived for the Belfast Titanic Maritime Festival.