Belfast Telegraph

Thieves break into rooms of tourists at Michaela hotel

By Deborah McAleese

A number of holidaymakers at the luxury hotel in Mauritius where newlywed Michaela McAreavey was murdered have been burgled.

It is understood that five rooms at Legends Hotel were targeted last week.

The burglars fled after a German tourist began to scream when she discovered a man stealing items from her room last Tuesday night.

Almost two years ago, 27-year-old Michaela was murdered after she disturbed intruders in her hotel room while on honeymoon with her husband John. After her murder, security was increased at the resort, which recently changed its name to Lux Hotel.

However, it is believed that burglars were able to access the resort last week via a beach, which a number of the luxury rooms back onto. Mobile phones, laptops, cameras, jewellery and cash were stolen from the rooms.

So far no arrests have been made.

Police have been viewing CCTV footage but have so far been unable to detect the culprits.

Nobody from the hotel was available for comment yesterday.

There had been a history of thefts at the hotel when Michaela, the daughter of Tyrone Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte, was found strangled in her room.

Two hotel workers, Sandip Moonea and Avinash Treebhoowoon, were accused of killing the Tyrone school teacher after it was alleged she found them stealing from her room.

But the pair were dramatically acquitted by a jury following a two-month trial at Mauritius’s Supreme Court in the capital Port Louis.

John and Michaela had arrived at the luxury resort on Saturday January 8, 2011 — two days before she was murdered.

Treebhoowoon worked as a room attendant at Legends while Moneea was his floor supervisor.

Following the men’s acquittal, the Mauritian authorities vowed to launch a new probe into the murder. However, to date there have been no new developments in the case.

Story so far

Michaela McAreavey was murdered in the luxury Legends Hotel in Mauritius where she was on honeymoon with her husband John in January 2011. Police believe she was strangled after disturbing intruders who were stealing from her room. Less than two years after her death burglars have struck again at the resort.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph