Threat to pets as rat poison scattered amongst bread in south Belfast
Police have said that a number of pets could have been killed after suspected rat poison was scattered amongst bread in south Belfast.
It was found by a member of the public in the Annadale embankment area on Tuesday evening.
Police said that around 200 pellets of the poison was scattered amongst pieces of bread.
A PSNI spokesperson said they were concerned it had been left out deliberately to entice animals to eat it.
"There is absolutely no excuse for this and it will kill or make any animal severely ill, be it rodents or domestic animals," the spokesperson said.
"The likelihood is a dog would have eaten these and a family is left with a hefty vet bill or even worse the death of a beloved member of the family.
"Please be vigilant when walking your dog and ensure it doesn't eat anything it finds on the ground."
SDLP Botanic representative Gary McKeown he was "stunned" by what he described as an "extremely cruel and heartless" act.
"Rat poison will cause a long and painful death in a pet dog or cat, so I have absolutely no idea why anyone would do this. I hope that no dogs have consumed the poison and that it hasn't been left out elsewhere," Mr McKeown said.
"Please keep an eye out for anything resembling this when walking your dog and ensure it doesn't eat anything it finds on the ground."
If anyone has any information regarding this incident contact police on the non-emergency number 101 and quote reference 1600 of 23/4/19. Thanks.
Belfast Telegraph Digital