Belfast Telegraph

Three still in hospital after Rangers fan killed in supporters' bus crash

Three people are still in hospital with non-life threatening injuries after a fatal crash involving a Rangers supporters' bus.

Ryan Baird, 39, from Sanquhar in Dumfries and Galloway, died after the crash on the A76 at the Crossroads roundabout near Kilmarnock on Saturday which left 18 other people in hospital.

Police said four of those injured were kept in overnight, with the condition of two men aged 19 and 61 and a 64-year-old woman, described as serious but not life threatening.

The fourth person, a 67-year-old man, was released from hospital earlier on Sunday.

Police said the coach had been removed from the crash site and appealed for anyone with information about the accident to contact them.

Alistair Dickson, 14, of Tarbolton, South Ayrshire was on the bus and told the Scottish Mail on Sunday he heard the driver say "Oh no, the brakes", shortly before the crash.

He told the newspaper: " I feel really lucky to be alive. The driver did everything he could but there was nothing he could do."

Another passenger said the coach "swerved" at the roundabout and the bus landed on its side on a grass verge.

The coach was taking the Nith Valley Loyal Rangers Supporters' Club to Ibrox Stadium, where Rangers were due to play Partick Thistle in the Scottish Premiership.

Tributes have been paid to Mr Baird, who was originally from Larne, Northern Ireland.

His cousin, Louise Evanne Baird, said he was "amazing" and would be "sadly missed".

His partner, Sarah Hughes, also paid tribute to him, saying he had loved the club.

Many of Mr Baird's friends and family members have changed their profile pictures to a Nith Valley Loyal scarf in his memory.

The club said in a statement: "The club would like to thank everyone for their good wishes and concern at this sad time."

Tributes were paid online from fans on both sides of the Old Firm divide and from Rangers supporters' clubs far and wide.

In a club statement, Rangers said it was "deeply saddened" by the crash, adding: "Our profound condolences go to the gentleman who has died and our thoughts are with his family.

"We are also thinking of those who have been injured and taken to hospital."

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson said: "Everyone at the football club and every member of our Rangers family is thinking of all of those caught up in this terrible accident.

"Clearly this is a deeply distressing time and the board extend our deepest sympathies and concerns."

He added: "Everything that happened on the pitch between 3pm and 5pm pales in to insignificance in light of this awful news."

Rangers assistant manager Davie Weir said he was sure the club " will be very supportive in regards to anything they can do to help the situation".

Celtic also passed on their condolences in a club statement.

The club said: "Everyone at Celtic sends our sincere condolences following the death of a supporter.

"We would like of course to also offer our best wishes to all those involved in this accident.

"We understand a significant number of people have been affected and our thoughts are very much with them at what will be a difficult time for all these supporters and their families."

A total of 36 passengers and the driver were on board the bus at the time of the crash.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph