Belfast Telegraph

Three teens appear in court after Bogside riots

By George Jackson

Four people - including three teenagers - appeared in court yesterday on charges linked to last week's disturbances in Londonderry.

John Paul Moore of Carlton Court in the city faced three charges of possessing with intent, namely three improvised explosive devices, with making, possessing and throwing petrol bombs, riotous behaviour and with indecently exposing himself to a female police officer.

The 22-year-old defendant is alleged to have committed the offences on July 12 and July 13 in the Fahan Street area of the Bogside.

He is further charged with damaging a monitoring tag belonging to G4S and with obstructing a police officer. Those offences are alleged to have occurred on June 26.

The defendant, who was handcuffed when he stood in the dock before Deputy District Judge Brian Archer at Londonderry Magistrates Court sitting in Omagh, spoke only to confirm that he understood the charges.

Defence barrister Nicola Coulter said she was not making a bail application and the defendant was remanded in custody until August 9 for a video link court appearance.

Meanwhile, teenagers also appeared before the same court later charged with offences connected to last week's disturbances.

A 15-year-old schoolboy is charged with destroying a car by arson, possessing and throwing a petrol bomb at the police and riotous behaviour within the vicinity of the city walls.

He is alleged to have committed those offences on July 9 and July 10.

A police officer told the court that the youth, who has no previous convictions, was reported as a missing person from his family home from July 6 until he was arrested last week.

There was no bail application and the teenager was remanded in custody to appear before the next youth court.

The second juvenile, aged 16, is charged with making and possessing a petrol bomb at the Collon Lane on July 13.

The police witness said the youth, who also has no criminal record, was arrested following six days of consecutive rioting in the city.

He was released on bail to appear in court again on September 4.

As part of his bail conditions, the defendant is banned from entering the Bogside area, banned from being within 500 metres of any ongoing police operation and banned from being in any public place with three or more people.

The police officer said the evidence against the youth was from a police body worn camera.

Deputy District Judge Brian Archer told the youth he was very fortunate to be granted bail.

"These are extremely serious offences. If there is any repetition or suspicion on the part of the police that you have broken any of your bail terms or involved yourself in any other criminal matters you will be arrested and remanded in custody," Mr Archer said

The third juvenile, who is aged 17, is charged with committing riotous behaviour at Fahan Street on July 12 and with possessing and throwing a petrol bomb at police officers on the same date.

He is further charged that on July 13 he possessed with intent to supply and was concerned in offering to supply cocaine and cannabis.

There was no bail application and he was remanded in custody until August 9.

After the three juveniles had appeared in court, the Deputy District Judge said they each faced extremely serious charges.

Mr Archer said: "These young people should be worried about preparing themselves for their futures if they are found guilty."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph