Belfast Telegraph

Torched wheelie bin shoved against shutters of shop in Carrickfergus

Two residents in Carrickfergus have had to be evacuated from their homes after a wheelie bin was set alight and shoved into the shutters of a shop.

It happened at around 2.50am on Monday morning, when the PSNI and members of the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service attended the incident in the Cheston Street/ Market Place area of the Co Antrim town.

Te area was cordoned off and two residents were removed from the flats above the shop where the fire was lit because of a suspected gas leak.

No one was injured in the incident and the residents are being allowed to return to their homes.

The fire is being treated as deliberate.

Sergeant Stephen Mellon said: “I would appeal to anyone who witnessed anything suspicious in the area to get in contact with police on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 163 of 11/6/18.  We would be keen to hear from anyone who saw a male in a grey hoodie, who was reported to be in the area just before the fire started.

“Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph