| 13.6°C Belfast

Transplant process to begin on tragic Lisa Orsi


Collapsed: Lisa Orsi

Collapsed: Lisa Orsi

Collapsed: Lisa Orsi

The Singapore hospital where a tragic Londonderry physiotherapist worked will tomorrow transplant her organs after tests confirmed there is no activity in her brain.

Lisa Orsi (22) collapsed while on holiday in Indonesia last month and was rushed to hospital there before being transported by air ambulance to Singapore.

Her parents, Dennis and Sharon, accompanied Lisa and were preparing themselves for her organs to be donated. However, the hospital halted that plan to conduct their own tests.

Five days later, these additional tests corroborated what the initial ones indicated - but the wait has added to the strain felt by her grieving parents in Singapore as well as those waiting back home.

Peter Orsi, Lisa's uncle, said the past few days had taken their toll on the family. He said: "There have been so many changes to the information we have been getting from the authorities that at this stage we are do not take anything for granted.

"These have been horrendous days for us all where we have had to first of come to terms with the dreadful news of Lisa's accident and the news that she was not going to recover. Since then we have tried to prepare ourselves for one thing - only to be told that something has changed.

"We never thought that Lisa and her dad and mum would still be in Singapore all this time and it looks as if it could be at least another week before we get her home, and that's only if there are no unforeseen delays.

"We hope that after the life support has been turned off the coroner's report will be done in a timely fashion but that could delay things further too. Even then, the journey home will take two days travelling. All of this as you can imagine has been difficult for us. We find ourselves in a strange limbo and it is not a place anyone would want to be.

"The only good thing to have come from these extra tests is that they have been able to establish the cause of the accident and it looks like it was extreme altitude sickness and not some kind of reaction to fumes from a volcano."

Meanwhile, a fund set up by one of Lisa's friends has raised over £22,000 which will be used to help her family pay medical bills and with the cost of repatriation.

Belfast Telegraph