Belfast Telegraph

Tributes to driver who died after collision with lorry

By Cate McCurry

A man has died after his car and a lorry collided in Co Tyrone.

The driver was travelling near the A4 Woodlough Road at Granville when his car hit the haulage lorry.

It is believed that the man may have died from a heart attack and not as a result of injuries sustained during the road traffic collision.

The westbound off-slip of the A4 Woodlough Road was closed at Granville for most of yesterday while a crane was used to remove the lorry from the scene.

The crash happened yesterday at around 9am.

Dominic Molloy, who works as a planning manager for Granville Meats just yards from the crash scene, extended his sympathies to the man's family.

The Sinn Fein councillor for the Dungannon area said: "There will be some bad news for a family after this devastating incident.

"It is very tragic for a someone to die in this way.

"My heartfelt sympathies are with this man's family at this time.

"It must have been very traumatic for the lorry driver to witness this crash which happened a few miles outside Dungannon."

A spokesman for the Ambulance Service said: "The Northern Ireland Ambulance Service attended a road traffic collision at the junction of the Granville Road involving a lorry and a car.

"It received a call to the scene at 9.35am.

"We dispatched a rapid response paramedic and two accident and emergency crews to the scene, the first arriving within six minutes. No patients were taken from the scene."

A spokesperson for Sawyers Transport, the lorry firm involved in the collision, also passed their sympathies to the driver's family.

However, they added that they could not comment because of an ongoing investigation.

Diversions were put in place in the aftermath of the collision, and there was traffic disruption at Granville Industrial Estate.

Meanwhile, the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service attended a crash second yesterday, this time on the M2 just before the Templepatrick turn-off in Co Antrim.

Four vehicles were involved in the crash, which happened just after 5pm yesterday evening.

A rapid response paramedic and two A&E crews attended.

A 22-year-old woman was taken to nearby Antrim Area Hospital for treatment for minor injuries, a spokesperson said.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph