| 19.5°C Belfast

Trident whistleblower William McNeilly discharged from Navy

Close

Submarine fears: William McNeilly

Submarine fears: William McNeilly

© SUNDAY HERALD

Submarine fears: William McNeilly

A Royal Navy submariner from Northern Ireland who published an online dossier of safety and security concerns about the Trident nuclear programme has been discharged from the service.

Able Seaman William McNeilly (25) went absent without leave last month after producing an 18-page report containing allegations about the Trident submarines based at Faslane on the Clyde.

He handed himself into Royal Navy police after his claims made headlines and he was held at a military base in Scotland.

His report alleged 30 safety and security flaws on the Trident submarines, describing them as a "disaster waiting to happen''.

The Royal Navy said it disagreed with Mr McNeilly's "subjective and unsubstantiated'' views and said it takes the operation of its submarines and the safety of its personnel extremely seriously.

The 25-year-old from Newtownabbey has put up a new seven-page online post thanking people for their support.

He said he has been given a "dishonourable discharge" and that he refused to sign a document discrediting his allegations which would have led to an earlier release from the service.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

Mr McNeilly wrote: "Most people know that I acted in the interest of national security. However, I was still given a dishonourable discharge from the Royal Navy."

Mr McNeilly believes more staff concerns will come to light.

"It's only a matter of time before worse information comes out," he wrote.

A Royal Navy spokeswoman said: "We can confirm that AB McNeilly has left the Naval Service, the details of which are a matter for the individual and his employer."

Further reading


Top Videos



Privacy