Belfast Telegraph

Trophy awarded in girl’s memory

By Brian Lovett

A trophy named after a south Belfast girl who died from an extreme reaction to nuts has been awarded to two sisters for a campaign they designed to raise awareness about food allergies.

The Jane McVeigh Memorial Cup was presented to the Dublin girls by Jane’s younger sister Grace and Cool FM DJ Pete Snodden at a recent ceremony in Belfast.

Seventeen-year-old Jane died in December 2006 after eating food at a party which she thought was safe. After coming into contact with peanuts, the Victoria College student went into anaphylactic shock — an extreme form of allergic reaction to a particular substance.

Despite frantic efforts by her friends and medical staff who tried to save her, her life was tragically cut short.

Louise and Edel Connolly received the Allergy NI Young Person of the Year joint award for their project which included giving talks to pupils and teachers in their schools and designing educational leaflets on allergies for children and teenagers.

They also set up a website,, which provides user-friendly information to help create a better understanding of serious allergies and anaphylaxis.

Allergy NI is a registered charity formed in 2005 to support individuals and families with serious and potentially life threatening allergies by providing education, information, support and campaigning on their behalf.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph