Belfast Telegraph

Two ambulances are involved in crashes in space of 20 minutes

By Amanda Ferguson

Four people required hospital treatment after two ambulances responding to different 999 calls in Northern Ireland were involved in crashes.

One of the ambulances ended up on its side and cutting equipment was needed after it was clipped by a vehicle in the Coleraine Road/Atlantic Road area.

John McPoland from the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service told the Belfast Telegraph that two of its staff and two patients had a "scary experience" but had now recovered.

The first incident happened on the Shore Road in Whiteabbey at around 8.30am on Wednesday, when a crew was responding to a non-life-threatening emergency call in Carrickfergus.

The ambulance was driving on the main road when a vehicle emerged from a side road.

No one was seriously hurt in the incident, although the occupant of the car was taken to the Royal Victoria Hospital for treatment.

The crew were left shaken by the incident and then given "a period of downtime".

Less than half-an-hour later, at approximately 8.50am, another ambulance was travelling from Portrush with a patient following another non-life-threatening emergency when it was involved in a collision.

A vehicle emerged from a side road and clipped the rear end of the ambulance, sending it into a spin before it ended up on its side.

The patient and two crew members were treated for non-life-threatening injuries at the Causeway Hospital.

A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) spokesman said: "NIFRS received a call at 8.54am to a report of a two-vehicle road traffic collision at the Atlantic Road area of Portrush this morning.

"Two fire appliances from Portrush Fire Station and one fire appliance from both Coleraine and Portstewart fire stations were deployed to the scene of a two-vehicle road traffic collision involving an ambulance and a van.

"One person was removed from the ambulance by firefighters using hydraulic cutting equipment, while the driver of the van and another person inside the ambulance were outside the vehicle upon arrival by firefighters at the scene.

"The incident finished at 9.35am."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph