Belfast Telegraph

Two Army statements to the original Ballymurphy inquest fabricated, QC tells hearing

Relatives of Ballymurphy Massacre victims outside Belfast Coroner’s Court yesterday
Relatives of Ballymurphy Massacre victims outside Belfast Coroner’s Court yesterday
Brett Campbell

By Brett Campbell

Evidence statements from someone pretending to be an Army medic who treated at least five people shot during the Ballymurphy Massacre were fabricated, an inquest has been told.

Michael Mansfield QC, representing the families of Daniel Teggart and Noel Phillips, who were killed on August 9, 1971, made the claim as former Army medical assistant Nigel Mumford continued his evidence.

Two Army documents from 'Soldier M' were submitted to the original 1972 inquest into the fatal shootings of 10 people over three days the previous year.

But the former corporal with the Royal Army Medical Corps insisted he was not 'Soldier M', who had claimed to be the medical orderly on duty at Henry Taggart Army Base when four people died nearby.

He said yesterday it was the first time he had been made aware that "someone was pretending to be me" in the documents, which were accepted by Mr Mansfield to be "totally fabricated".

Mr Mumford denied ever speaking to the Royal Military Police about what he had seen and said there was "no way" he could have known any of the details recorded in the statements.

He said information about "clothing, height, hair and time of death" could only have been obtained from a post-mortem report, as he would have had no interest recording those details.

The retired Army medic also recalled an Army captain approaching him at around 8am on the morning of August 10 to ask him to plant a handful of bullets in the clothing of Daniel Teggart.

He denied a Royal Military Police report which alleged that 38 rounds of ammunition were discovered in Mr Teggart's jeans, which he had cut off to look for gunshot wounds.

"I would have noticed if his trousers were stuffed with bullets," Mr Mumford said.

"They would have clunked to the ground."

Mr Mumford also rejected documented claims that Mr Teggart believed he had been shot by "Protestants".

Mr Mansfield said he accepted the statements did not come from Mr Mumford and told him that he believed them to have been fabricated by someone "pretending to be you".

Mr Mumford, who admitted a "rushed" book he has written about his experience in Ballymurphy contains a number of "small mistakes", denied not taking proper care of his patients.

He described how Daniel was "conscious" and "sitting up on his bed" the last time he saw him. "He was not given morphine, because there was no need," he added.

Mr Mumford, who gave Noel Phillips mouth-to-mouth and a cardiac massage, claimed some colleagues commented on him being "a good man" for trying to resuscitate "terrorists".

However, Mr Mumford did say he was "ashamed" of the training he was given by the Army and "disappointed" that people died in his care.

The inquest was told that Mr Mumford - who suggested in his book that he later joined the Parachute Regiment and then the SAS because he was "better at killing people than treating them" - had a number of fiery exchanges with a barrister for the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

He claimed the organisation "doesn't like me very much" and said he doesn't trust the Army, MI5 or British police, "who have forced him out of the UK".

The MoD barrister, who highlighted inconsistencies in the witness' book, evidence and string of videos posted to YouTube, accused him of making up his evidence and said he was "confused" about what happened.

Mr Mumford, who gave his evidence via video-link, was questioned at one point about a voice heard out of shot that appeared to be prompting him with answers. He claimed it was his wife who had since been "kicked out" of the room.

When advised that the court had heard a male voice, he said it was his neighbour who left after helping him with paperwork.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph