Belfast Telegraph

Two held over bomb 'murder bid'

Two men have been arrested in connection with a bomb attack on a police patrol.

The suspects aged 29 and 43 were detained by detectives from the Police Service of Northern Ireland's (PSNI) serious crime branch this morning.

Dissident republicans were blamed for the murder bid in Strabane, Co Tyrone last month.

Detective chief inspector Michael Harvey, from the PSNI's serious crime branch, said: "A number of houses are being searched and two cars have been seized.

"The suspects have been taken to Antrim police station for questioning."

Officers were lured into the Ballycolman estate on October 23 to investigate reports of a bomb at a water pumping station. It was claimed dissident republicans had thrown a device, which did not detonate, at a police patrol vehicle the previous night.

The alert was declared a hoax but a second, viable bomb was discovered in the garden of a nearby house.

More than 130 children from an Irish language school and a number of householders had to be evacuated while the Army technical experts were deployed to defuse the device which had been packed with nails.

No one was hurt but police said the attack bore all the hallmarks of attempted murder.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph