Two released on bail after discovery of man’s body on street sparks murder probe
Two men arrested on suspicion of murder after a body was discovered on a residential street in north Belfast have been released on bail.
The dead man, believed to be from Lithuania, has yet to be identified and a post-mortem examination is under way.
It is understood he was found by two people driving along Orient Gardens, off the Cliftonville Road, shortly before 10pm on Wednesday.
Blood was still visible on the pavement yesterday before forensics officers erected a tent at the scene.
The PSNI is currently investigating and arrested two people aged 26 and 28, who were released last night pending further police enquiries.
The SDLP's North Belfast MLA Nichola Mallon and councillor Paul McCusker have urged anyone with information to come forward.
"There is real shock and sadness across north Belfast following the death of a man here. I understand that the police have now opened an investigation," Ms Mallon said.
"The thoughts of all of us in the SDLP are with his family at this difficult time. Anyone with any information should contact the police urgently."
Mr McCusker added: "My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of this man. All of us here in north Belfast are upset to learn of this awful news."
Sinn Fein MLA Gerry Kelly said there was a palpable sense of shock in the area yesterday morning.
"While the circumstances of the man's death are unclear at this time, the PSNI have stated that they are treating the death as murder.
"I would appeal to anyone with information which may assist the police to bring it forward."
He later said he understood the victim had lived close by in a flat and had been a foreign national.
DUP councillor Dale Pankhurst said: "I am shocked and saddened to hear that a body has been found in the Orient Gardens area of Cliftonville this evening.
"While investigations are in an early phase, I would encourage anyone with any information to contact the police."
Detective Chief Inspector Eamonn Corrigan appealed to anyone who was in the area of Orient Gardens on Wednesday night between 7pm and 10pm to contact officers on 101.
"Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime," he added.