Two separate attacks leave one man dead
Detectives are investigating the death and attempted murder of two men in north Belfast — in separate incidents.
They say they will have to wait until the post mortem examination of the deceased man has been completed before moving further with the investigation.
The 50-year-old was found with severe head injuries on Saturday morning (June 4).
A spokesperson for the PSNI said: “Police are working to discover how the victim, who was found close to steps outside a building in Queen's Crescent, Carnmoney, sustained the |injuries.”
The PSNI have said the man died in hospital on Monday, and the investigation will continue after a post mortem has been carried out.
“The male was injured in the Queen's Crescent area during the early hours of Saturday morning.
“A 41-year-old woman arrested on Saturday remains in police custody at this time assisting with inquiries,” they added.
Meanwhile, detectives in Newtownabbey are investigating the gun attack on a man in the Mayfield Court area last week.
At around 10pm a man armed with what is described as a shotgun entered the property and fired two shots.
Despite injuries, a man managed to escape through the back garden of his home, clamber over a high fence, and run to |safety.
He was later located by medics in a street near his home and treated for injuries to his chest, stomach, and leg before being taken to hospital. The attacker has not been apprehended but a police spokesperson said:”It's believed the gunman made off in a white hatchback with another man.
“Police are investigating a link with a white Honda Accord found burnt out in the Ligoneil area of north Belfast a short time later.”
Detective Chief Inspector Colin Gillis has appealed for witnesses:
“At present we are treating this attack as attempted murder,” he said.
“We are keen to hear from anyone who was in the Mayfield Close area at around 10pm on the night and who saw the gun man or the white hatchback car.
“We would also extend this appeal to anyone who saw the Honda car being abandoned at Leganore Street in Ligoneil at about 10.30 or at any other location.”
The Mayor of Newtownabbey, Councillor Billy Webb, has condemned both incidents. He said: “These are deeply troubling incidents. The level of brutality exhibited in these two attacks is absolutely appalling.”