Ulster ban rugby fan for life after Zebo racially abused
Ulster Rugby have announced that they have banned a supporter for life due to abuse directed at Racing 92 player Simon Zebo.
The province also confirmed a written apology has been sent to both Zebo and his club. The player has since tweeted, saying: "Thank you @UlsterRugby."
Zebo had said the abuse directed at him during the January 12 fixture was "not on", while Ulster head coach Dan McFarland called it "totally unacceptable".
Speaking after Ulster's 26-22 victory, Zebo tweeted: "I hope my ears deceived me with some comments directed my way from the crowd."
Racing 92 said that their player had been targeted by racist insults during the game.
In a statement released yesterday, Ulster said that following a "robust investigation" they had "sanctioned a life-time ban on a spectator for breaching our stadium regulations".
"We would like to thank the many supporters who provided information to assist our investigation," the statement added. "We are all very proud of our reputation as an inclusive club and the unacceptable behaviour of this one individual is not reflective of our supporters or the values of our club."
The ex-Ireland star had become a pantomime villain to Ulster fans after his contentious celebration during Racing's 44-12 victory over Ulster in Paris last October. He had pointed his finger at Ulster full-back Michael Lowry before crossing for Racing's fifth try of the game. He later apologised for his actions.