Belfast Telegraph

Victim stable after firework is thrown into Belfast chip shop

By Staff Reporter

A man suffered burns after he was hit by a large firework rocket in north Belfast.

Police said the firework was dropped through the doorway of a fish and chip shop by an "unknown male".

The incident happened at about 9.15pm on Friday in Alliance Avenue. The man was taken to hospital, where he was described as being in a stable condition.

Condemning the incident, North Belfast SDLP assembly member Nichola Mallon said: "Fireworks aren't toys, they can cause serious injury, they can cause considerable damage to property and they need to be used responsibly. So I would send a very clear message to parents and to young people to realise the dangers of fireworks."

Sinn Fein councillor JJ Magee said: "Hopefully the injured man will make a full and speedy recovery, but it must have been a very traumatic experience."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph