Belfast Telegraph

Victoria Cullen murder trial: Jury shown 'knife husband used to cut wife's throat'

By Claire McNeilly

A knife allegedly used to slash a Northern Irish woman's throat has been shown to an Australian jury as her husband faces trial over her murder.

Thirty-nine-year-old Victoria Comrie Cullen, originally from Bangor, was found dead in a fishing club car park in Sydney with her throat slit and 18 other stab wounds.

Her 51-year-old estranged husband Christopher Cullen is accused of her murder on January 22 last year.

Earlier that day he was allegedly captured on CCTV buying two knives marked "guaranteed sharp" and a black T-shirt from a camping and fishing store.

Yesterday nurse Gibson Kariuki said he was sleeping off a night shift when screams woke him.

"I heard screams… that gradually became louder from a woman. She was just screaming out of pain," he told the court.

Mr Kariuki​ said the screaming seemed to be from the driveway area of his apartment block and continued for about two or three minutes, before a car drove off.

A large bag of evidence was brought into the New South Wales Supreme Court by detectives yesterday. The jury were shown the two knives - one with a 17 centimetre blade - the prosecution claim were used in the killing.

The accused's bloodstained white sneakers and the black T-shirt were also shown in court.

The court has been going through crime scene photos, including pictures of the Cullens' white Hyundai, found in the fishing club car park spattered with blood. Mrs Cullen's blood-stained handbag, containing broken sunglasses, was in the boot, jurors heard.

The trial has been told that on the morning of the killing the couple appeared in court over a dispute about a car registered under Mr Cullen's business name.

After the court made a ruling unfavourable to Mr Cullen, a car similar to his was seen at Mrs Cullen's Sutherland unit block, where neighbours heard screaming and a woman saying: "Where are you taking me?", to which a man replied: "Just wait in the car."

The court has been told Mr Cullen, who emerged from mangroves in Woolooware Bay in the hours after Mrs Cullen's body was found, told police his estranged wife had "taunted" him about her sex life and that he "lost it".

The trial continues.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph