Belfast Telegraph

Wall insulation in most Housing Executive homes 'not up to standard'

'The research found that, of the Housing Executive stock surveyed, 63% had cavity wall insulation which was non-compliant with current industry standards, leaving 37% compliant' (stock photo)
'The research found that, of the Housing Executive stock surveyed, 63% had cavity wall insulation which was non-compliant with current industry standards, leaving 37% compliant' (stock photo)

By Michael McHugh

Wall insulation in almost two thirds of Housing Executive properties does not comply with current standards, a report has revealed.

Voids or debris were discovered in the cavity between the inner and outer leaf designed to hold insulation and prevent heat loss.

Now independent experts have recommended that Northern Ireland's public housing provider carry out remedial work.

The Executive said the report brought into sharp focus the need to secure a sustainable funding model, particularly surrounding access to external borrowing.

Rob McCormack, director of Consultancy, Investigation and Training (CIT), which produced the report, said: "CIT believes its recommendations address the issues of remediation across the Housing Executive's social housing stock as well as suggesting ways to ensure repair work is carried out in full compliance with cavity wall insulation industry standard."

The research found that, of the Housing Executive stock surveyed, 63% had cavity wall insulation which was non-compliant with current industry standards, leaving 37% compliant.

For 1% of properties surveyed, their external facade had deteriorated and the internal fabric compromised; 32% had compromised but stable building fabric and 51% had minimal building fabric defects with no serious underlying causes.

Sixteen percent of stock was found to be defect-free.

The research was commissioned in 2017 but published this week.

More than 800 Housing Executive properties and 100 privately owned homes were surveyed as part of the research.

A spokesperson for the Housing Executive said: "In the short term, we will, of course, immediately focus on those properties in which CIT has indicated a specific need for urgent remedial work.

"Later this year we will bring forward a longer-term strategy and plan for addressing the broader issues that have been identified."

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph