Belfast Telegraph

Warning to Northern Ireland dog owners after pets die from poisoning

By Staff Reporter

Dog owners in Craigavon have been warned to exercise caution following the death of two pets after eating a toxic substance.

The PSNI said there has been "three worrying incidents" in total, including the two dogs' death just yesterday in central Craigavon. While it is believed the animals died after eating something toxic in the Clonmeen area, police at this stage are not able to say if the deaths were caused by intentional poisoning.

"Dog owners, please keep a close eye on your dogs, especially what they are eating or sniffing at," the PSNI warned on its Craigavon Facebook page.

"This could be deliberate acts, however at this stage we cannot confirm that.

"We urge all dog owners to be particularly alert and to report anything suspicious or out of the ordinary, especially if your dog is taking an interest in it.

"This may well be something accidentally discarded, in which case we need everyone's help to find out what, and where."

DUP Assembly member Carla Lockhart described news of the dogs' deaths as "very serious and very worrying".

The Upper Bann MLA said she would be taking up the matter with the local dog warden and environmental health officers.

"This is very alarming," she said.

Ms Lockhart said she would advise dog owners not to take their pets out at the moment.

However, the PSNI urged owners to keep walking them - but to be extra vigilant.

"Folks, nowhere should be 'avoided', we're just asking that everyone is alert," the PSNI said.

"Don't be not walking your dogs on account of this - that would lead to some very sad pooches!"

If you are the owner of one of the dogs affected, please call our newsdesk on (028) 9026 4440

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph