Belfast Telegraph

Woman dies in carbon monoxide incident in Northern Ireland home

The incident happened at a property on the Drum Road, Cookstown.
The incident happened at a property on the Drum Road, Cookstown.

A woman aged in her 60s has died after a carbon monoxide incident in a home in Co Tyrone.

Police attended the scene of the sudden death at a house in the Drum Road area of Cookstown on Tuesday morning.

A man, aged in his 70s, who was also in the house at the time was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Police are not treating the death as suspicious and a post mortem is due to be carried out to determine the cause but firefighters found "significant levels" of carbon monoxide at the property.

A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) Spokesperson said: “The thoughts and sympathy of NIFRS are with the family of the lady who died following a carbon monoxide incident at a house in the Drum Road, Cookstown on Tuesday."

“NIFRS received a call at 6.59am from the NI Ambulance Service to attend a carbon monoxide incident.  Ambulance personnel were already at the scene and were treating two casualties, a man and woman, who were then transferred to Craigavon Area Hospital.

“Firefighters using gas monitors took gas readings from inside the property which found significant levels of carbon monoxide and ventilated the property.  Gas readings were also taken from adjacent houses and two properties were evacuated for a short time as a precaution.

“For safety advice with regard carbon monoxide visit or call 0800 0320 121.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph