Belfast Telegraph

Woman escapes injury following blaze at Co Antrim house

By Brett Campbell

A young woman has escaped serious injury after her Co Antrim home went up in flames yesterday.

Two fire appliances attended the blaze which began in the living room of a terraced house on the Magheraboy Road near Portrush shortly after lunchtime.

The 20-year-old occupant, who was alerted to the fire when a smoke alarm sounded, was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

An eyewitness said neighbours looked on in horror as fire crews tackled the blaze.

"It's a close knit community and everyone knows everybody," they said.

"There's a lot of relief that this wasn't more serious, but I'm sure it was traumatising."

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service said the "fully developed" fire was brought under control quickly but caused significant damage.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph