Belfast Telegraph

Woman used two knives to stab her partner to death

A Polish woman accused of stabbing her lover to death during a drunken row the day after their son's christening has pleaded guilty to his manslaughter.

Aneta Sadowska (36) was to have gone on trial at Enniskillen Crown Court yesterday accused of the murder of 37-year-old Marek Seweryn at their Rathronan House flat on Hospital Road in Omagh, on December 15, 2008.

Prosecutors claimed Mr Seweryn was attacked with a blunt object — possibly an ashtray or frying pan — before being stabbed at least twice with different weapons.

At a previous court hearing, Crown counsel said the accused formed a relationship with Mr Seweryn after she split up with her husband.

Emergency crews were called to the couple’s home early on December 15 and tried in vain to revive the victim.

A post-mortem examination revealed the deceased had suffered a laceration above his right eye, caused by a blunt object.

He had also been stabbed in the chest, the blade penetrating around 16cm as it went through the heart. A separate knife wound was inflicted to his stomach.

It was claimed the couple had been drinking after their son's christening and a row ensued over Mr Seweryn losing his job.

Just as the murder trial was about to start yesterday, defence QC Elis McDermott asked that Sadowska be re-arraigned and the charge put to her again. Flanked by her solicitor Robert Murtagh and a Polish interpreter, Sadowska wept in the dock as she told the court: “I'm not guilty of murder... guilty of manslaughter.”

Crown counsel Margaret-Anne Dinsmore QC said that in light of two psychiatric reports the guilty plea to manslaughter was acceptable to the PPS.

Trial judge Mr Justice Hart told the jury it was clear there were “complicated psychiatric aspects” to the case, and released them from further service.

Releasing Sadowska on continuing bail, Mr Justice Hart said: “You must understand that the fact I'm releasing you on bail does not mean you will escape a prison sentence.” She will be sentenced next month.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph