Belfast Telegraph

Woman walked nine miles after man tried to strangle her with belt, court is told

By Nevin Farrell

A distressed woman with red marks on her neck and bloodshot eyes claimed she walked nine miles from a coastal Co Antrim village after a man tried to strange her with a belt, a court has been told.

Mario Felloni (33), of Cliftonpark Court in north Belfast, is charged with attempted murder.

Yesterday, Felloni made an unsuccessful bail application as he appeared at Coleraine Magistrates Court via video link from Maghaberry Prison, where he is on remand.

He is further charged with false imprisonment of the woman and assaulting her, occasioning actual bodily harm.

The incidents are alleged to have happened between August 2 and August 4 this year.

Opposing bail, a police officer said that at 3.30am on August 4, a woman reported to the PSNI that a distressed female had approached her.

She said the woman had told her that she had walked nine miles from Waterfoot in the Glens of Antrim and that an attempt had been made to strangle her with a belt.

The officer said the injured woman was taken to Antrim Hospital, where it was revealed she had been "significantly strangled", and the assault had left marks on her neck and bloodshot eyes.

The officer said police considered it attempted murder.

The policewoman said the woman gave a verbal account to police.

However, she then withdrew it, alleging she was put "under pressure" by the accused, whom she said she was "terrified" of.

The officer said police were concerned that if released, Felloni could abscond as he had been living in Co Cork and had a "considerable history of violence".

She said police were concerned he could commit further offences if released.

A prosecutor told the court Felloni, who had a "significant" record, had previously breached seven court orders.

A defence lawyer said there had never been any written statement in the case and claimed the injured woman had been contacting their office asking about the status of the case.

The lawyer argued any risk of Felloni fleeing could be managed by strict bail conditions.

Refusing bail, District Judge Liam McNally said Felloni faced serious charges, including attempted murder.

The judge added that there was a also a risk of interference with the witness, as was often the case in "domestic violence" cases.

Felloni was remanded in continuing custody to appear back at Coleraine Magistrates Court via video link on November 21.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph