Belfast Telegraph

Worker assaulted and called 'paedo' by father-of-seven

By Staff Reporter

A father-of-seven attacked an innocent passing workman and called him a "paedo", a court heard yesterday.

Patrick Ward (33), of Sandown Park in Ballymena, appeared at the town's Magistrates' Court and pleaded guilty to assault over an incident on August 24.

A prosecutor said the victim was driving along a road when the defendant flagged him down, tried to open the door of the vehicle and asked why he was in the area.

The court heard Ward then called the man a "paedo" and struck out at him before taking the keys to the vehicle.

The victim suffered cuts and bruises to his head and face and also injured his shoulder during the attack, which was stopped by a colleague of his.

A defence lawyer said Ward had been stressed at the time of the attack and regretted his actions. He also told how his client had since met the injured party, who he described as a "good man".

District Judge Peter King said the victim had been attacked for nothing. He added that a clear message needed to be sent out that such incidents would not be tolerated.

Ward will be sentenced for the crime in mid-November.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph