Belfast Telegraph

Yobs attack police probing death of Derry toddler Kayden McLaughlin

By Donna Deeney

The family of a three-year-old boy who died in Londonderry on September 17 is still waiting on his remains to be released.

It is understood investigations into the cause of Kayden McLaughlin's death have still not been completed despite a post-mortem taking place.

The little boy's body was found in the bedroom of a flat in Columbcille Court in the Bogside, where he lived with his mother Erin McLaughlin and baby sister Skyler.

The flat was boarded up by the Housing Executive and remains sealed off.

Last weekend a 23-year-old man was arrested in connection with the death of the youngster, and was later released on police bail pending further enquiries.

Earlier this week police vehicles came under attack, with fireworks and stones hurled at them while officers were in Fahan Street and Lisfannon Park carrying out enquiries.

Chief Inspector Paul McCracken asked community leaders to use their influence to stop the attacks and allow them to proceed with the investigation unhindered.

Sinn Fein councillor Kevin Campbell said it was disgraceful that youths were adding to the grief of the family of the toddler.

"It is vital for the family that this investigation is allowed to continue and be completed as quickly as possible so that they can get this young child home and they can prepare for his funeral," he said.

"The family cannot get back into their home until the investigation is over so it is imperative the police are allowed to get on with their job without any kind of interference.

"I would call in the strongest possible terms for any young person throwing fireworks or stones at the police to think of the hurt they are causing to the family and to the wider community in the Bogside.

"It is disgraceful that the actions of these young people are only adding to the stress and suffering the family are already enduring."

Independent republican councillor Gary Donnelly condemned those who attacked the police.

He said: "I am aware that there has been an issue with young people throwing fireworks.

"This is a very sensitive situation and the family of this young child needs to be considered.

"I don't think there is anything to be gained by these young people throwing fireworks and I would call for people to show sensitivity in these circumstances.

"There have been other times when there has been a sudden death and the police are at the scene and I have spoken to young people and asked them to step back."

Chief Inspector McCracken said: "I would ask those with influence in the community to use it to bring incidents like these to an end."

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph