Police have resolved to bring those responsible for petrol bomb attacks against officers before the courts after police vehicles were damaged in a second night of disorder in north Belfast.
Superintendent Lorraine Dobson said it was "extremely disappointing" to see such attacks which also involved bottles and masonry over the course of Saturday night but said no officers were injured when petrol bombs were thrown by young people on Queens Parade and New Lodge Road.
As officers from the Tactical Support Unit attempted to engage with young people, they were continuously attacked by young people, some of whom were masked.
"We are again today appealing to young people who are involved in this type of criminal and anti-social behaviour to stop. You need to realise the consequences of your actions, and the impact it has on the community," she said.
“I would also appeal to parents and guardians of young people to please ensure you know where your young people are, who they are with and what they are doing."
She asked those in the community to use their influence to ensure there is not a repeat of such behaviour.
"We will deploy the necessary resources to detect and deter those responsible in a proportionate manner, and we will seek to gather evidence to bring those responsible before the courts, whether through evidence gathering or arrests at the time.
Anyone with information about any of these incidents was asked to call police on 101, and quote reference number 1456 of 11/07/20. A report can also be made using the online reporting form via www.psni.police.uk/makeareport. Alternatively, information can be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Police dogs with riot teams continue to search the Newlodge area as light begins to fade. The throwing has stopped for now as police regroup and refocus their operation. @BelTel pic.twitter.com/tUOemBguH7— Kevin Scott (@Kscott_94) July 11, 2020
Earlier on Saturday, piece of furniture was set on fire in the middle of North Queen Street, while passing cars and houses were attacked with stones by young people near Duncairn Gardens.
North Queen Street was later closed to allow debris to be cleared.
Speaking on Saturday, Chief Inspector Peter Brannigan said: "We’ve received two reports of criminal damage caused to two vehicles – one on York Street, and a vehicle on North Queen Street - as a result of this senseless behaviour. Damage was also reported to have been caused to a property in Hallidays Road where a window was smashed."
Earlier this week, police and fire crews were called to the scene of a bonfire on the Tiger's Bay side of Duncairn Gardens on Thursday as youths continued to stack pallets beside a peace line gate along the street.
Patrols in the area have now been stepped up by police, who said they are being supported by tactical support group colleagues.
Anyone with information about any of these incidents has been asked to call police on 101, and quote reference number 1396 of 10/07/20. A report can also be made using the online reporting form via www.psni.police.uk/makeareport. Alternatively, information can be provided to Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org
Meanwhile, police are investigating an incident in which a car was set on fire in Rathcoole shortly after 1am on Saturday.
A man driving along Rathcoole Drive was obstructed by a number of pallets on the road and was stopped by ten males, some of whom were armed with wood, as he tried to drive away.
The man was ordered to get out of his white Peugeot 108 by one of the males, while another got inside and drove it short distance away.
The windscreen of the car was then smashed before the car was set on fire.
Detective Chief Inspector Dunny McCubbin said it was "a terrifying ordeal for this man", who left the scene uninjured.
He appealed for anyone with information to contact police.