Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Police question man in new twist to Milly Dowler murder probe

Police investigating the death of Milly Dowler, the schoolgirl abducted and murdered on her way home from school seven years ago, questioned a 40-year-old man yesterday as part of their inquiries.

Surrey police arrested the man, from west London, over the disposal of a red Daewoo Nexia car. Detectives believe that Levi Bellfield, the prime suspect in the unsolved murder, used the car to transport Milly's body from Walton-on-Thames in March 2002.

Police sources suggested that the man was not believed to have been involved in Milly's death but detectives want to question him about the fate of the car. He was later released without charge.

A Surrey Police spokeswoman said yesterday: “A 40-year-old man from west London was arrested by Surrey Police at 10am this morning after voluntarily attending a police station.”

The man was questioned about the potential disposal of a red Daewoo Nexia car. Police had appealed for information about the car as part of their investigation.

Amanda ‘Milly’ Dowler's death remains one of Britain's most notorious unsolved murders. She vanished while walking home on March 21, 2002. Six months later mushroom pickers found her body 30 miles away in Hampshire.

Officers have been building a case against Bellfield since the Metropolitan Police arrested him in November 2004 over other matters. Bellfield (41) was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of two women and the attempted murder of a schoolgirl.

Officers believe they have compelling circumstantial evidence linking Bellfield to the crime.

They want to trace the red Daewoo, then owned by Bellfield's girlfriend at the time. Bellfield admitted driving the car in an interview with the Daily Mirror.

His mother Jean Bellfield complained to the Press Complaints Commission. But yesterday the PCC rejected the claim.

Belfast Telegraph

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph