Man held over GAA assault is released
A GAA player arrested over an alleged assault which left a young Fermanagh footballer fighting for his life has been released without charge, US prosecutors have said.
Patrick Power was detained by US police in connection with the attack on Mark McGovern earlier this summer.
However, prosecutors confirmed the 26-year-old suspect, from Half Moon Bay in San Francisco, has since been released and the case discharged pending further investigation.
Erica Derryck, from the District Attorney’s Office, said: “We are working with the San Francisco Police Department who executed the search warrant, and we are awaiting forensic reports on information and materials seized as part of that search.”
Power was arrested last Thursday on suspicion of assault over the June 25 incident, in which Mark (22) was left unconscious.
He was taken into custody while his home was also searched.
The suspect had previously been named as “a person of interest” by law enforcement officials.
The alleged attack took place during a match between Ulster San Francisco and San Francisco Celts.
Witnesses told police how they saw Power stand over Mark as he lay on the ground and say: “You won’t get up from that.”
The player was given a 96-week suspension by the GAA.