Belfast Telegraph

Black Widow spider bites Irishman in Africa

An Irish surfer had to be hospitalised after he was badly bitten by a Black Widow spider on a holiday in Africa.

Craig Butler (20) was bitten by the venomous spider and had a three-inch gash in his right foot.


The spider sank its fangs into his leg when he was on a surfing trip to Africa recently.


Craig, a six-times Irish surfing champion felt nauseous and dizzy within hours of being bitten, and at first he believed he had food poisoning.


“Been in the hospital the last couple of days with really bad food poisoning after eating out of somewhere I shouldn't of been eating out of,” he said while he was on holiday.


“A side reaction from that last night my foot swelled up to massive proportions and ended up popping.”


The surfer had to cut his trip short because he was feeling so ill.


He described the wound in his foot as “gross” and he said: “Unfortunately I need to call it quits on this trip for now and cancel my flights and ferries and get a flight home so I can get my legs treated, hopefully not for long though.”


However, when he arrived home and went to his local doctor, the medical professional knew something more uncanny had happened.


Craig said: “Turns out the hole on my foot is an infected false black widow spider bite,


“The thoughts that one of these little buggers was bouncing around my tent has put me off camping for life.”


“Off to the hospital after coming to the conclusion, foot feels like it’s on fire with needles being stuck into it.”


The surfer from Tramore, Co Waterford who won his first title at only 13 years of age, has joked that he can now claim the title of the first Waterford man to be hospitalised by a spider.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph