Boy (13) charged with murder of schoolgirl Ana
A 13-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with the murder of a schoolgirl in the Irish Republic.
The teenager, who cannot be identified because of his age, appeared at Dublin District Children's Court yesterday morning charged with the murder of 14-year-old Anastasia Kriegel.
Anastasia, known as Ana, left her home in Leixlip, Co Kildare, at about 5pm on May 14. She did not return.
She was found dead in a derelict farmhouse outside the village of Lucan, south Co Dublin, on May 16.
The young boy, wearing a pink hooded top, dark blue jeans and black trainers, was charged with the murder of Anastasia at Dublin District Children's Court yesterday.
The boy attended court with his mother and they sat beside his solicitor, David Powderly, during the 10-minute hearing.
He was formally charged with the murder of Ana at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road, Lucan, on May 14, contrary to common law.
Judge John O'Connor asked the accused if this was his first time in court, to which he replied "yes".
Detective Sergeant Damien Gannon said the young boy was taken to Lucan Garda Station where they charged him with the offence in the presence of his mother.
Det Sergeant Gannon said the boy "made no reply to the charge after caution".
At this stage the boy raised his right hand and quietly asked permission to use the toilet.
He was brought out to the toilet and re-entered the courtroom two minutes later when the proceedings resumed.
Judge O'Connor said that due to the nature of the charge, the Children's Court did not have jurisdiction to rule on the issue of bail.
Legal aid was granted.
The judge also referred to reporting restrictions and issued warnings about the general public identifying the accused on social media.
Judge O'Connor asked Det Sergeant Gannon if the special directions, necessary due to the boy's age, had been obtained from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
Det Sergeant Gannon said: "The DPP has given them."
Judge O'Connor said that nothing should be published online that could lead to his identification, including his school and address.
Once it was confirmed there was a space to hold the boy, Judge O'Connor remanded him in custody to the Oberstown detention centre, to appear again on July 18.
The judge allowed the young boy and mother to spend some time together following a request by the defendant's solicitor, Mr Powderly.
Another 13-year-old boy has already been charged with murder.
Anastasia, who was adopted from Siberia, was last seen alive in St Catherine's Park near Lucan on May 14, about one kilometre away from where her body was eventually discovered three days later.
There has been no indication yet as to how either boy intends to plead.
At her funeral at Newlands Cross, Dublin, a priest said: "Ana came from Russia with love.
"We are all numbed, confused, very angry and bewildered that such a thing has happened to the most beautiful, caring, kind, strong-willed, crazy, sometimes cheeky, but always a loving princess - that was Anastasia Kriegel."