Belfast Telegraph

Brother of slain Real IRA chief killed in Dublin gangland attack

By Ken Foy

The younger brother of slain Real IRA leader Alan Ryan has died after a horror daylight gun attack in Dublin.

The murder of well-known dissident republican Vinny Ryan took place at 3pm yesterday.

The 25-year-old was shot as he sat alone in a car parked outside a house on McKee Road in Finglas, north Dublin.

Ryan had earlier dropped his infant child and partner at the property, but they were not in Ryan's white VW golf when it was targeted by a two-man hit team who "riddled" Ryan with bullets.

He was said to have been hit in the head, throat and chest.

The getaway car, a silver or grey VW Golf, was later found burnt out in Co Kildare.

Sources said a machine pistol using 9mm bullets may have been used in the brutal shooting. Ryan was rushed to Dublin's Mater Hospital with head and chest injuries and was on life support but later died.

Gardai were last night drawing up plans to monitor criminals attached to the notorious 'Mr Big' drugs gang, who are the chief suspects in the attack.

The same gang are believed to be behind the murder of Ryan's older brother Alan Ryan (32), who was also shot dead in broad daylight on the quiet Grange Lodge Avenue in Clongriffin, north Dublin, in September 2012.

It's believed Ryan's attackers may have been monitoring his movements for a number of weeks and the shooting was well planned.

Witnesses to the attack described hearing what sounded like "machine-gun fire" with six or seven shots being discharged before a car sped away from the scene.

The incident took place near a secondary school, where classes had just finished for the day, and shocked students came across the aftermath of the gangland hit along the McKee Road. One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said her young son came upon the scene on his way home from school.

"This guy was around here regularly in his car, so all the kids knew him. He was sitting in the car eating a roll.

"He was riddled, there were that many bullets on the street," she said.

"The guards were on the scene straight away. They were here within a matter of seconds."

Members of the elite Armed Response Unit patrolled the Finglas area in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, while gardai and detectives cordoned off a large portion of the road where the attack happened.

A friend of the Ryan family last night said close relatives had maintained a bedside vigil at the Mater Hospital until he died.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph