Belfast Telegraph

CCTV footage holds key to holiday crash

By Ralph Riegel

CCTV camera footage holds the key to a horrific crash that claimed the life of a 16-month-old toddler and his unborn baby sister.

Oisin Twomey and unborn Elber Marie Twomey died after the family car was struck by a Vauxhall Vectra being driven by Polish taxi driver Marek Wojciechowski.

The Vectra apparently veered directly at high speed into the path of the Twomeys' Golf near Torquay in Devon, where the Irish family were holidaying, on July 6.

CCTV security camera footage is understood to be central to explaining the circumstances of the crash -- and the manner of Mr Wojciechowski's driving in the minutes before the head-on collision.

While the crash itself was not caught on camera, footage from business premises in Torquay and leading to Hamelin Way -- where the collision occurred -- is now being studied.

It is hoped this will determine the speed of the Vectra - and whether Mr Wojciechowski's driving was erratic.

It is also expected to confirm that Devon police -- as they have insisted -- were not in pursuit of the vehicle at the time.

The collision was witnessed by a Devon police officer -- and police are also hoping to speak with people travelling on Hamelin Way at the time.

Oisin and Elber Marie's parents Con (39) and Elber (36) Twomey are still fighting for their lives in Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.

A coroner's inquest today will allow the Twomey family to bring Oisin and Elber Marie's remains back to Ireland.

The inquest -- to be staged by Plymouth coroner Ian Arrow -- will merely hear outline details of the cause of death before being adjourned to allow the police inquiries to proceed.

It will also deal with the third fatality from the tragedy, Mr Wojciechowski.

Three probes are now under way into the collision, including inquiries by Devon police, the UK's Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and the Plymouth coroner.

The IPCC launched its probe because the fatal collision was witnessed by a police officer.

Devon police have vehemently denied that Mr Wojciechowski's car was being pursued.

However, they confirmed they were looking for Mr Wojciechowski after a friend had raised concerns about his welfare. A suicide note was left by the young man, who had been working in Torquay in recent months.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph