Celtic striker Anthony Stokes' alleged assault on Elvis impersonator 'no minor offence'
Soccer star Anthony Stokes has been warned by a judge that his alleged assault of an Elvis impersonator is no minor offence.
After reading medical reports of the alleged victim, Judge Michael Walsh said the injuries were too serious to be dealt with in the Dublin District Court.
He ordered the case be sent back to state prosecutors before a decision on whether Stokes (25) will have to stand trial in Ireland's higher Circuit Court.
The Republic and Celtic striker, who was in the court in central Dublin dressed in a navy suit, white shirt and navy polka dot tie, will have to wait another seven weeks before hearing the fate of his case.
Judge Walsh said he was refusing jurisdiction in his court – effectively recommending a higher court take on the case.
"If these are the injuries the injured party sustained, to my mind this is not a suitable court," he said. The judge added: "As a matter of fact it is not a minor offence."
Stokes was remanded on bail until July 17.
The footballer, with an address in Glasgow, was arrested by appointment earlier this year and charged with assault causing harm to Anthony Bradley (42) at Buck Whaley's nightclub on Leeson Street, Dublin, on June 8, 2013.