Belfast Telegraph

Conor McGregor released on $50k bail after appearing in New York court charged with assault

Irish UFC champion Conor McGregor has been released on bail by a New York judge after footage emerged of him apparently throwing a hand cart at a coach carrying some of his UFC rivals.

McGregor, 29, a titan of the sport and the UFC’s first two-weight champion, was charged following the incident at the company’s media day in Brooklyn on Thursday.

At least two people were injured when the bus window shattered, forcing them to withdraw from fights at this weekend’s UFC 223 event.

McGregor handed himself in to police after footage emerged of the chaotic scenes in the Barclays Centre.

It appeared to show him, flanked by an entourage, making several attempts to rush the vehicle and being stopped from throwing a metal crowd barrier at it.

The fighter was later charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal mischief, while fellow fighter Cian Cowley, 25, was charged with assault.

McGregor was seen being led from a police station in handcuffs at around 10.30am New York time on Friday.

The two men were released on bail, with McGregor’s being set at 50,000 dollars and Cowley’s at 25,000 dollars.

The pair are due to next appear at a New York court on June 14.

Two UFC fighters were pulled from upcoming bouts due to injuries they sustained in the fracas.

Michael Chiesa, who received “several facial cuts”, tweeted to say the New York State Athletic Commission had decided to pull him from his bout against Anthony Pettis.

UFC later released a statement confirming Chiesa’s injuries and also said flyweight Ray Borg would not be taking part in his fight against Brandon Moreno due to “multiple cornea abrasions”.

bpanews_f7e97fbd-96cf-4170-84b8-36889842114f_embedded235852126
Conor McGregor

A third fighter, Artem Lobov – a close friend and training partner of McGregor – was also removed from the card due to his “involvement in the incident”, UFC said.

Reports suggested the confrontation had been sparked by an earlier run-in Lobov had with UFC lightweight title contender Khabib Nurmagomedov – who was on the targeted bus.

The ugly scenes were condemned by UFC president Dana White, who labelled them “one of the most disgusting things that’s happened in the history of the company”.

McGregor has been a divisive presence in the sport due to his quick temper, flashy tastes and trash-talking of rivals, but quickly became one of UFC’s most bankable stars after signing a contract in 2013.

bpanews_f7e97fbd-96cf-4170-84b8-36889842114f_embedded537131
Mixed Martial Arts fighter Cian Cowley (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

His rapid ascendancy saw him capture two belts before jumping sports to face undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather in a money-spinning crossover bout in Las Vegas last August. He lost the fight and has not competed since.

He was this week stripped of his UFC lightweight belt, which was due to be on the line in a bout between Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway at UFC 223, before the latter dropped out when doctors stopped him cutting further weight on Friday.

The UFC said in a statement: “NYPD was immediately alerted and is currently in the process of investigating the situation.

“UFC is working very closely with the New York Athletic Commission, Barclays Centre security and law enforcement authorities.”

Belfast Telegraph Digital

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph